Jeremy Paxman travels the world exploring many different aspects of the British Empire. 5 episodes available, below.
A Taste for Power
1/5 Jeremy Paxman finds out how a small island came to rule a quarter of the world.
Making Ourselves at Home
2/5 Jeremy continues by looking at how settlers spread the British way of doing things.
Playing the Game
3/5 Jeremy continues by tracing the growth of a peculiarly British type of hero.
Making a Fortune
4/5 Jeremy travels to Jamaica, where sugar made plantation owners rich on the backs of slaves.
5/5 The story of how a desire for conquest became a mission to improve the rest of mankind.
Also available at BBC website
- In Our Time: The Dutch East India Company
- Birth of the Anglo-Indian Community I: the Portuguese Empire
- Birth of the Anglo-Indian Community II: the British Empire
- The Presidencies of British India
- Wrecked or Captured, the East India Company Ships that Failed to Arrive
Cover picture credit: “The British Empire Anachronous” by The Red Hat of Pat Ferrick
*Please report dead links in the comments below.