Today the AIP #FridayFun series presents a famous Indian vegetarian dish, Matar Paneer. A delicious blend of spices, peas and paneer, in a tomato-based sauce. The full recipe is in this post – less than 30 mins to prepare and cook.
Matar Paneer is an Indian vegetarian dish consisting of peas and paneer in a tomato based sauce, spiced with garam masala. It is usually served with rice (see pilau rice, plain rice, coconut rice) or an Indian bread (such as naan, roti, paratha, flatbread). In variations of this dish, other ingredients are added such aloo, corn, yoghurt or cream.
A delicious dish, that is quick and simple to make at home and is healthy and light. This particular recipe is adapted from BBC Good Food:
- Preparation approx: 15 mins
- Cook time approx: 10 mins
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 225g paneer, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2½ cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 green chilli, finely sliced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- small pack coriander, roughly chopped
- naan, roti, paratha, flatbread or pilau rice, plain rice, coconut rice, to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat until it’s shimmering hot. Add the paneer, then turn the heat down a little. Fry until it starts to brown at the edges, then turn it over and brown on each side (keep a constant eye on the paneer, it does not take long to brown). Remove the paneer from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the ginger, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander and chilli in the pan, and fry everything for 1 min. Add the tomatoes, mashing them with the back of a spoon and simmer everything for 5 mins until the sauce smells fragrant. Add a splash of water if it’s too thick. Season well. Add the peas and simmer for a further 2 mins, then stir in the paneer and sprinkle over the garam masala. Divide between two bowls, top with coriander leaves and serve with naan, roti, paratha, flatbread or pilau rice, plain rice, coconut rice.